Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Incredible Hulk aka Kale Ginger Apple Smoothie


I started making these kale ginger apple smoothies last summer, after having one at a juice cart in SE Portland. They called their smoothie The Incredible Hulk. It was insanely good (for being green), and my (at the time) 7-year-old loved the smoothie as much as I did.

The only problem was that it was kinda pricey, being close to $5 a pop. Consistent with the cart's SE Portland location,  the ingredients were organic, from local farms, which helps explain the spendy price tag.

Totally obsessed with the idea that I could make a similar smoothie (also from organic, local produce, of course), for less than $5, I reviewed a bunch of different recipes on the internet. After many smoothies, I came up with this recipe that I now make all the time. I have sometimes served it as a replacement for veggies and beverages at mealtimes, so I don't feel as badly about serviding something like pizza.

Kale Ginger Apple Smoothie

In a blender, crush:

1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and rough chopped
3-4 ice cubes

Add:
1/2 banana
1/2 apple, cored and rough chopped
2 handfuls chopped kale (roughly 1.5-2 cups loosely packed; I buy mine in a bag which makes the process way faster)
8 oz apple cider

Blend until smooth. Yields about 16-20 ounces, or 2 servings. According to my My Fitness Pal app, the total calories is 257.

Enjoy!

No comments: